I have a Domestic Violence Order for my protection – what should I do now?


The things you can do if a Domestic Violence Order is made for your protection are listed below.



image of a protection order• Keep a copy of your order with you – You can also give copies to your children’s school and childcare centre.



image of police officerReport breaches – If the other person breaks the order you should report it to the police. If it’s safe to do so, keep any evidence of the other person breaking the order―for example, keep text messages they sent you, take photos or write down what happened. See what happens if someone breaks a Domestic Violence Order?



image of referrals • Get support – If you need help with things like money, housing or counselling, see get help.




image of a helping handFind out about compensation – If you experienced domestic and family violence you may be able to apply for compensation or support through a victim’s compensation scheme. Each State and Territory have their own scheme and different laws about what support they offer, time limits and who is eligible. For more information, contact your victim’s compensation schemeACTNSWNTQldSATasVicWA.



image of legal adviceGet legal advice – Sometimes a Domestic Violence Order can affect things like your:

• tenancy

• visa

arrangements for your children or dividing property.


You can get legal adviceACTNSWNTQldSATasVicWA, tenancy adviceACTNSWNTQldSATasVicWA or immigration adviceACTNSWNTQldSATasVicWA.


If you had to leave the house without all of your personal things, see how do I get my stuff back?


Quick Exit

© Copyright National Legal Aid 2019. All rights reserved. All illustrations by Frances Cannon.

Skip to content